Thursday, July 15, 2010

Day #10 - JACK

The prompt for Day #10 is:  jack. At Dictionary.com, there are 30 definitions of this word, some of which I'd never heard of before. When choosing which one to use, I kept coming back to an idea that sparked the poem below. Perhaps a sense of nostalgia for days that were or should have been contributed to my effort for today.

JACK AND BOB AND TEDDY

Jack and Bob and Teddy,
a band of brothers three.
The eldest, Joe, died in the war,
to keep his country free.

And then, stood Bob and Teddy,
a band of brothers two.
A killer’s gun took Jack away
before his job was through.

And then alone stood Teddy,
the last remaining son.
His brother Bob fell victim
to another selfish gun.

And through his years remaining,
the youngest Kennedy
worked hard for silent voices,
to win them liberty.

Jack and Bob and Teddy,
a band of brothers three.
They strove throughout their lifetimes
to keep this country free.

1 comment:

Lynda deGreif said...

A man in garb of old clothes
Without a home or things
Stepped off the curb yelling
“What’s up Jack?”

I gazed at him as he walked away
And wondered what brought him here
What tragedy of circumstance
How did he come to this?

And a smile filled his face
Upon looking at a child
Which quickly changed to streams of tears
In what seemed the blink of an eye.

So, I walked up to him with care
Afraid but wanting to share
His story sad or terrifying
A moment just to share

I asked him if he was alright
And if he would like to talk
He looked at me with vacant eyes
And just said, “What’s up Jack?”

I realized that he was gone
A moment of history fleeting by
And I headed back to my place to be
With a hole in my heart he left in me.