Thursday, November 4, 2010

PROMPT #29 - DRAFT

We’ve come to the letter “D” and our prompt for the week is: draft. You could write about the draft coming through the window or under the door. Or you could write your poem about a military draft. For me, I’ve chosen National Novel Writing Month (a/k/a “NaNoWriMo”) as my inspiration. Beginning on November 1st, participants need to write 1,667 words per day to reach the goal of a 50,000 word novel by month’s end. A daunting task, to say the least. I read a comment someone wrote about how too many people are writing books these days and events like NaNoWriMo should be discouraged. I don’t just think she’s wrong, I know she is. Here’s wishing success to all the NaNoWriMo-ers out there from one within your ranks!!

THE NaNoWriMo DRAFT

A novel in a month, they say.
Has cyberspace gone daft?
I need procrastination time
to cultivate my craft.
With thirty days to write a book,
I panicked more than laughed.
But if I’m faithful to the end,
I’ll have my book’s first draft.

Yet recently I heard it said
there’s no validity
in many people writing with
no creativity.
These words were misdirected.
And I say with certainty,
there’s no room in the world of art
for negativity.

Antagonist comments
should be locked away in storage.
A writer has the right to write
and shouldn’t be discouraged.
Instead, a word of praise or two
is better to encourage
the best in those who jump right in
with confidence and courage.

No comments: