Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Day #15 - OCEAN

The prompt for Day #15 calls me back to the place I just left. Four glorious days immersed in total relaxation where water meets land. I am hopelessly addicted to white, sandy beaches, the smell of salty air and the majestic roar of the ocean. Only one question bores through my soul: when can I go again? Enjoy the prompt. Enjoy the summer. And enjoy the moment.

OCEAN MOTION

I sit content at the shoreline.
The waves roll in.
The waves roll out.
Mesmerized by the scene,
nothing more important seems possible
than that gentle rocking back and forth.
As the wind picks up,
white caps appear
and the ocean begins to pummel the beach
with fierce determination.
Slow and steady, the waves come
closer and closer
to my sanctuary in the sand.
Retreat is not an option.
I surrender to the encroaching water
that envelops my toes in its salty wetness.
And still, I sit and ponder
those things that beach bums do:
much of nothing
and nothing much.

1 comment:

Lynda deGreif said...

He sits with his feet in the sand
Diet Caffeine Free Coke next to him
Staring at the waves
The tide is coming in.

I remember the face so tan
And the “clearing in the East”
The jumping of the waves
Walking the clean white sand

He would take water to the Lifeguards
And talk with any passing soul
He would smile at me and my sisters
Listening to us laughing at the gulls

This is what I remember most
Ten years without my Dad
His love of the ocean
And his love of his family.